If you guessed Jello....you are right......a dessert is wiggly if it's made out of gelatin or in this part of the world more commonly known as Jello, no matter what U do it's gonna wiggle. First of all let me clear one thing, it's easy as it's no cooking required dessert other then boiling water BUT it's a time consuming process. If U gonna do all the layers it will take U approximately 2 hours(at least 75% of the time is waiting period, but U need to be around, as this waiting period is divided into several 10-15 minute periods ) but end result is so cute looking, nothing less then an art work. Kids gonna love it but adults also won't say no to it.
Last week few weeks few months back(I'm lazy but finally I've completed the post :) ) while blog hopping I found this blog and she have this cute collection of jello creations that first look at this picture & I knew it, I'll be making it soon. You really have to look at her pictures as they are so neat& clean, in my case bottom layer stuck a little bit but hers are so impressive.
It's a simple recipe, not even a recipe in fact a procedure. I'm only giving the recipe here because I cut it down to half as I knew it's gonna be lot of jello for our family. So, instead of 9x13 dish I made it in 8 inch square Pyrex dish. Now, as I divided the recipe, I did a lot of measuring :) & somewhere I believe went little wrong(may be the dish size or eye balling the half can of condensed milk) so my milk layer was not very thick, but nothing to hold U back from picking that master piece to eat.....
Note : It was still a lot of Jello for our family of 4, but good thing is it can be kept in the fridge and it taste good even after 3-4 days. It's good dessert for a party, U can make it ahead of time and impress your guests with your artwork.
What I used :
- 1 - 3 oz. pack of Red Jello, divided in two equal parts
- 1 - 3 oz. pack of Blue Jello, divided in two equal parts
- 1/2 can of Condensed milk
- 2 packets of unflavoured gelatin(I use Knox brand)
- Boiling water
- 5 small bowls ( or use 2 & U can wash & dry one after each Jello layer)
What I did :Jello Layer :
- Mix one half (1.5 ounce) package of Jello with 1/4 package of Knox. (see the note above).
- Add half cup boiling water and stir to dissolve.
- Cool to room temperature and pour into dish(8 inch square Pyrex dish).
- Refrigerate 15 minutes until solid enough for next layer.
- In a large bowl, mix half can sweetened condensed milk with half cup boiling water.
- In a small bowl, place 1/4 cup cold water. Sprinkle 1 package of unflavored gelatin on the water. Allow to sit for a 2-3 minutes for gelatin to bloom. Add 1/4 cup boiling water to dissolve the gelatin.
- Combine the dissolved gelatin with the milk mixture.
- Now, the milk mixture is ready again we gonna use it in 3 equal parts, total mixture is around one & a half cup.
- Once cool to room temperature pour half a cup over the Jello mixture(which was set in the fridge). Refrigerate 15 minutes until solid enough for next layer.
- Repeat Jello and Milk layers (starting and ending with Jello)
- Refrigerate little longer after final layer to make sure that Jello is fully set and cut into desired shapes.
IF you don't want to spend this much time, here's a simple version I usually do from long time back(in fact this pic is also from my initial days of blogging). I always love to do it with fresh fruits but U can certainly do it without any fruits.