- 2 cups of cooked(boiled)* Lentils( I used Red Chorry available at Indian Grocery Stores)
- 1/2 small onion
- 1 Large tomato
- 2 carrots
- 1/2 cup salad greens of your choice
- 1 small cucumber
- green chillies as per taste
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro
- handful of raisns
- handful of toasted nuts of your choice
- salt as per taste
- black pepper as per taste
- juice of 1 lime
1) Finely chop all the Salad vegetables including green chillies (this is little time consuming, so I usually chop everything a night before & then assemble the salad hour or two before the lunch time).
2) In a big bowl mix drained lentils, chopped veggies, raisins, cilantro, salt, black pepper & lime juice and gently mix up everything.Keep it in the fridge.
3) When ready to eat take it out add roasted chopped nuts mix them well & one healthy lunch is ready. We usually eat it as a lunch but you can have it as a side salad in full meal.
Note : * For boiling the lentils for salad purpose don't use too much of water just enough water to cover them plus one extra cup, and then pressure cook them. Little salt & a bay leaf while boiling enhance the flavours.Water left after draining the boiled lentils can be used to make dough for the chapatis.
Variations : This salad also tastes good with black eye beans or chickpeas.
While we gonna enjoy this colorful & tasty salad today for lunch, I would like to send the same to My Legume Love Affair : the 16th helping event hosted this month by jeanne of CookSister.com, event created and administered by the lovely Susan of The Well-Seasoned Cook. Also sending this entry to No Croutons Required event, hosted by Jacqueline.