Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Banana Oat and Wheat Muffins


As I mainly do egg less baking and to replace eggs I use different fruit sauces. But banana is one thing I use only for banana bread & not for muffins or cupcakes because the smell of it overpowers all the other flavours and then I have to admit it to my DD that it's not real cupcake(Secret : many times I bake apple bread batter in muffin tins dress it with whip cream top it with sprinkles and yeahhh.....cupcake is ready & DD is happy). This time I had two over ripe bananas and I decided that no matter what I've to bake banana muffins and back of mind I knew that I might be ending up eating these so I thought, why not make it little bit more healthy and I changed my basic recipe for muffins to adjust these changes.

Ingredients :
  1. 2 ripe bananas
  2. 3/4 cup whole wheat flour(I used regular chapatti flour)
  3. 3/4 cup all purpose flour(Maida)
  4. 1 cup instant cooking oats
  5. 6 tablespoons of brown sugar(little less then 1/2 cup)
  6. 2 tsp baking powder
  7. 1 tsp baking soda
  8. pinch of salt
  9. 1 cup reduced fat/fat free milk(I used 1%)
  10. 1/2 tsp vanilla
  11. 1/4 C frozen blueberries mixed with 1 Tbsp flour(Optional)
  12. Handful of semi sweet choc. chips(Optional)
Method :

1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2) In a bowl, combine all the dry stuff : flours, oatmeal, sugar, baking powder, soda & salt.Mix it with the fork.
3) In another large bowl, mash both the bananas using the back side of the fork then add milk and vanilla combine thoroughly.(Use whisk to bring everything together).
4) Add dry mixture into wet mixture until just combined. then add choc. chips to it & fold them into the mixture.If using blueberries, at this point fold them also into the mixture.
5)Place in muffin tins (greased or lined with paper cups). Bake at 400 degrees F for 20 mins. or until lightly browned and toothpick comes out clean.

In the picture few muffins show some x'tra chocolate on the top that was to impress my DD. I topped few of them with some choc. shavings. As I said in the beg. smell of banana....when muffins were almost towards the end of baking she came running what's that smell...it's so good.....so both of us ate one each, right away, the moment it came out of the oven.I loved it, gonna make it more often. She didn't liked the blueberries in it but otherwise she enjoyed it.
Note : As I was using non-stick muffin pan, so I didn't lined them, neither did I grease them & muffins came out fine.
Vegan version : Simply use Soy milk instead of regular milk.
I'm sending these delicious Oat & Wheat Muffins to :
1) CFK-Wheat guest hosted by Sireesha of Kidz Delight, event authored by Sharmi .
2)Srilekha's EFM-Oat Series.
3)Madhuram's Wholegrain Eggless Baking Event - Oats .

3 comments:

Madhuram said...

Those are some healthy muffins. Do send it before Thursday night, so that I can post the round up on Friday morning.

SE said...

very healthy muffins...

Srikitchen said...

check out the round up of oats series!