- 1 cup chana dal(bengal gram)(Soaked for 2 hr.)
- 2 cup basmati rice (soaked for 25-30 min.)
- 1 tsp. jeera(cumin)
- 1 tsp. mustard seeds
- 1 inch piece of cinnamon stick
- 3-4 cloves
- 2 dry red chillies
- 1 Onion thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 inch piece of ginger(thinly sliced lengthwise)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon of rasam paste(I used store bought)
- salt as per taste
- 2 tablespoon oil/ghee
1) In pressure cooker heat the oil then add jeera, cloves, cinnamon stick, mustard seeds & red chillies, when seeds start to splutter add sliced onion.
2) On med. high gas saute the onion till they become brown.
3) Now add rasam paste & 3-4 tblspn. of water to loosen up the paste.Add salt, paprika, rice & chana dal, stir everything together.Let everything get coated with the masala(spice & onion mixture)around two minutes.
4) Add 4 1/2 cups of water* and pressure cook it on med. high . After a whistle turn off the gas. If your stove is electric make sure you take the pressure cooker off the heated stove.after around 5 minutes open the cooker & using fork fluff up the rice.Serve it with plain yogurt/raita.
Note : *I use 1(rice) : 2(water) ratio while cooking rice in the cooker and I added 1/2 cup extra for chana dal.If you pressure cook rice, make sure not to let them sit for a long time in the pressure otherwise they will be overcooked & become mushy.