Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Worm in the Mud Cupcakes

"Whatever Cupcakes"
I know Halloween is gone but I wanted to share these "whatever cupcakes" I made this Halloween. Why I'm calling these whatever cupcakes, because in my mind I planned to make my regular cupcakes but then I realized that DD wanted Chocolate one this time.....so i added little bit of cocoa powder then I noticed I don't have enough buttermilk & I also like to throw in a spoon or two of almond meal to make things little bit more healthy. So this recipe is more of a guideline then exact......

Ingredients :

  • 1 cup all purpose flour (maida)
  • 2 tblsp. whole wheat flour(Chappati atta)
  • 2 tblsp. cocoa powder
  • 2 tblsp. almond meal (fine or coarse grind almonds)
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 squirts of honey
  • 1/4 cup light brown sugar(sugar is less then regular b'coz I planned to do icing)
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup regular milk
  • approximately 1/4 cup orange juice(water or milk can be used)
  • around 6-7 Oreo cookies broken into pieces.
  • few gummy worms

As I wrote above one thing lead to another, so I basically used muffin technique. Mixed all the dry ingredients in one bowl. Take another bowl mix together buttermilk, milk, honey & sugar using a whisk. Now add dry stuff to wet mixture & whisk it together, if you feel batter is too tight add little bit of orange juice at a time, mix together till u get nice cupcake consistency batter.

Now pour approximately 1 tblsp. of batter into each muffin mould then sprinkle few broken pieces of cookies & then pour rest of the batter on top(that's for the surprise when u bite into it, alternatively you can use choc. chips or coarsely grind nuts also). Bake them at 350 degree F for around 20 minutes, till the toothpick comes out clean.

Once cool do your favourite icing & then again sprinkle them with few broken pieces of Oreo cookies & for worm part just make a hole in the cupcake using the backside of wooden spoon(the one which have round handles) & stick a gummy worm in it .

Note : I didn't used any butter or fruit sauce & buttermilk is also less then how much I use regularly, so these are best eaten at room temperature or warm. If you eat them direct from the fridge you might feel them little hard & also less sweet,but warm tasted very good.

8 comments:

Malar Gandhi said...

Whoo, got scrared by the title...looks too good, must have tasted great too.

Unknown said...

oh my god..hehe..but looks nice..must have tasted great..

sangeeta said...

everybody would love this mudslide with worms...:)
your carved orange is too good..
nice blog you have Spice...

Spice said...

Thanks to all of you.....and yes choc. topped with more choc. further topped with creamy oreo's, what else do we need...yes, a glass of milk...ha

SE said...

this looked scary to me, but i guess it tasted delicious..

Karine said...

These look cute! Thanks for sharing :)

Sushma Mallya said...

Looks delicious...must have been really good without eggs in it

Pavithra Elangovan said...

MMMMmmmm looks yumm