As the name say it's a Chocolate Banana Cake, but believe me it taste like chocolate cake only...moist & chocolaty. If you are like me who's not a big fan of baking with banana(b'coz they over power all other flavors) than this cake is for you. Even after eating 2 slices each DH & DD didn't noticed that cake has banana in it. You might be thinking if I don't like baking with banana than why did I baked this cake.........I froze 4 bananas couple of weeks back, as the whole family was under the attack of cough & cold & no one was eating them.....so took out two to make banana oat muffin & then came the sweet request "can U make chocolate cake instead, so that we can eat like cake slice". So here comes the cake......
What U need :
- 1 & 3/4 cup Cake flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tap. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3 Tblsp. cocoa powder
- 3 Tblsp. light brown sugar
- 1 cup + 1 Tblsp. milk
- 4 Tblsp. vegetable oil
- 4 Tblsp. semi sweet choc. chips
- 2 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
optional for filling & decoration :
- handful of semi sweet choc. chips
- handful of toffe bits
- 4 Tblsp. cocoa powder
- 5 Tblsp. icing sugar
- approx. 4-6 spoons of warm water
What U do:
- Sift all the dry ingredients. Add sugar to it & mix it.
- Using microwave melt 4 Tblsp. of chco. chips along with 1 Tblsp. of milk. Stir it to make sure all the chips are melted. Let it cool.
- Add all the wet ingredients to the above melted chocolate.
- Now mix wet ingredients into dry ones & mix them gently, until well combined.
- Pour the batter into prepared deep round 8 in. cake tin or into two smaller cake tins(I used two 6 in. round pan).
- Bake at 325 degree F for about 1 hr.(do the toothpick test to check the doneness) if using deep pan. In case of smaller pans check around 22 min. or so, mine were done in 24 minutes.
Spread half of the icing on one layer of cake, spread it, spread choc. chips & half of the toffee bits.
Stack the second layer on it & pour the icing on top of it & decorate with remaining toffee bits.
Note : 1) Cake is not very sweet as the amount of sugar used is very less but if U are planning to use icing than it's perfect.
2) Quantity of icing is not too much, it won't cover the whole cake(i mean all sides) but for our taste it was good enough, just to give you that little extra sweetness.
Needless to say half of the cake was vanished quickly, it was still warm when we ate it....yes I didn't had patience to wait for it to cool down completely, so I pour the icing when it was still warm & once it's ready it's hard not to eat...... so we had dessert before lunch......and we all loved it. Most important of all, other than me no body noticed(from the smell & taste) that it's a BANANA cake. And those two bananas in the picture are still waiting in the freezer for their turn, they only came out for the picture shoot.